Skip to main content

History of United Way Alliance of the MOV

In the fall of 1924, the Parkersburg Community Chest was organized through the efforts of the Rotary Club, Lions Club, Kiwanis Club and Parkersburg Board of Commerce. Each organization supplied three Directors as the original Community Chest Board of Directors.  Its first campaign for the following year, 1925, approved $63,690 to be distributed to 14 agencies. The Mid-Ohio Valley United Fund, Inc. was organized in 1957 as the successor to the Community Chest and to incorporate other Agencies into one Annual Campaign for operating funds.  Its first campaign was for the year 1958 with $214,000 raised.

Timeline:

1924:    Parkersburg Community Chest was formed by concerned members of the Parkersburg Rotary Club, Lions Club and Kiwanis Club and designed to be a community-based movement that came to the aid of the less fortunate

1925:     First organized campaign was held; $63,690 designated to 14 agencies

1957:    The Mid-Ohio Valley United Fund, Inc. was organized in 1957 as the successor to the Community Chest and to incorporate other agencies into one annual campaign for operating funds.

1958:    The MOV United Fund campaign goal was $214,000

1972:     MOV United Fund campaign goal was $300,000

1980s   Name was changed to United Way of the Mid-Ohio Valley

2005:    United Way Alliance was formed, merging together four organizations – Belpre Area United Way, Williamstown United Way, Vienna United Appeal and United Way of the Mid-Ohio Valley

2014:    United Way Alliance of the Mid-Ohio Valley celebrates its 90th anniversary of serving the Mid-Ohio Valley.  The 2014-2015 campaign goal is $735,000.